Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Beginnings

WOW. I am finding it really difficult to believe that it is now the end of September, this week has been a big week of beginnings in our house so in my mind we're still just starting this 'year'! Last week I started going to a morning prayer group, and Jason and I started back with our cell group Bible Study. Last night was our second meeting, and I have to say I love those people so so much - I don't think I have laughed so hard in months! And we're studying the book of Romans! I know, I know. Hilarious stuff. But you really should have been there. :)


But Monday night was something new just for Miranda. I signed her up for Ballet Babies through Spectrum as soon as the catalogue came out - $20 for 8 weeks is about as close to free as I have been able to find, outside of church stuff and the Ontario Early Years Centers (which we make good use of!). I thought something like a little dance class would be good for my poor uncoordinated daughter, and her low muscle tone. She's never been especially interested in dance, but she IS especially interested in the school down the street where it is held, and above all, other little girls so it almost didn't matter at all what I signed her up for! All day monday she kept asking if she could wear her new ballet slippers and saying "I'm just so Es-sited!!" (the slippers came from Walmart and cost of all $6.00, and the leotard she wore was MINE from when I when I did ballet babies when I was three!). We walked over there in the evening, and my daughter who usually complains about having to walk up the stairs ran the whole way. And when we got to the shchool, she just ran and skipped and there was no stopping her! I was a little worried she might be the only one in a leotard (the course description said to bring children in a t shirt and shorts, with socks or slippers) but every other little girl was dressed from head to toe in a blinding assortment of pinks - some with pouffy tutus and one with what appeared to be a little tiara. Wow.

Miranda ran into the room without even saying 'bye' while I waited outside and chatted with the other moms (and tried to keep Simon from escaping) and loved every minute of her class. A big highlight was that she got a tiny sticker on her hand at the end. She was SO excited when I told her she could go back the next week! I have not seen anything so cute in a long time - a whole room full of three year olds in tutu's skipping and waving little scarves in the air to piano music. I was relieved my little one wasn't the 'crier' and didn't sit on the floor picking her nose and generally was very attentive and obedient. Even those kids were cute. Except there really was a lot of pink in there.

Miranda ran all the way home after this, which just blows my mind because I can barely get her to walk with me to the playground other nights. I was told she would always have trouble with physical activity, and there wasn't much that could improve it. I think really though, that since she looked almost as compitent as all the other girls, though more clumsy, I just need to find ways to motivate her to get up and get moving with me. (And let's face it, I definetly need to get moving more too)! So we'll see how next week goes. Three more weeks before her first 'performance'. I can't WAIT to take some photos. :)

No comments: