Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Imaginary Things




So I've been trying to learn to laugh more, because it's good for me and because there is lots in my life to laugh at but there are definetly times when I need to learn not to.

Like when you three year old comes running into your bedroom in the middle of the night, terrified from a nightmare that she has had.

And she tells you she had a dream of a "a poop, and it had a face on it, and it was big and it was standing and it had a sad face." !

I wasn't particularly awake at 2:00am, and she had to repeat herself a few times, but in between the tears I finally understood what she was saying, I had to shove my face in my pillow to keep her from seeing that I had to laugh!

I went back to her room with her, and tucked her in and lay beside her for about half an hour, until she stopped shaking, and crying. We sung songs, prayed and talked about happy things until she was a little better. But she has not wanted to go back to sleep today, and I'm not sure how much she actually slept after that last night. She hugged her hippopotamus flashlight, turned on, and I did not take it away from her. I figure a change in batteries is worth both of us getting some sleep.

She's always had night terrors and a fairly vivid imagination - lately she's been drawing pretty hilarious things. And telling me bizare things like my elbow speaks spanish and likes mice (??!). The pictures here are things she has drawn in the past ten days or so - and these are just the ones I could find (click to see the enlarged version). I think they're pretty good for having just turned three!

Her nightmares this month have also included a family of cats, who wear spy glasses, and find their way into her room through the nightlight (which we therefore can no longer turn on). They don't do anything apprently except for meow. But she's still very scared of cats since a series of dreams she has had. Right now she keeps an imaginary snake by her bed, (named "my friend the snake") and has some (also imaginary) ants that appear around the house (named similarly "my friends the ants"). She just doesn't like me to catch her talking to them. :)

All of that I could take with a straight face. The standing poop-with-a-face, that was too much! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no...too funny! MY son has funny nightmares too. But a giant poop, that takes the cake!

Nikki said...

I would be laughing constantly. Poor girl. My son hates it when I laugh at him. I do it frequently!

Monique said...

What an imagination! Poor little thing scaring herself silly like that though. :-(

And I just wanted to say I looove your blog header's textured look! I just noticed how touchable it looked and love it! Have a great day!

Kristen said...

Oh man, those poop dreams take the cake! (kind of a South Park thing really!)

Barbara said...

What a budding artist you have! I love the dinosaur teeth. Yes, dreams at night can be hard to a) have compassion for and b) take seriously. Giant poop...of course he had a sad face. Who wouldn't have a sad face if they were a giant poop?! Thanks for the laugh this morning.