Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Thinking of Christmas

So I actually do realize that it is still September, but every year I come to December first, and realize how unprepared I am to do all the things I really intended to do in the weeks leading up to Christmas. So this year, I'm getting a few things out of the way early. :)

I love advent calendars, and just the entire season of Advent and I'm SO excited that this year I have a child who is old enough to really participate in the whole event. So I'm thinking of making an advent calendar for us to use this year. I am hoping each day will contain a small candy or other item (thank you, Dollarama!), the passage of the Bible and corresponding questions for that day and an activity that is special for that day for her and I to do together. A few years ago when I was working at the church I put together a series of verses on the themes of love, joy, peace and hope that also told the whole of the Christmas story, with discussion questions for each verse. I'll be re-designing the whole thing this year, but the concept will be the same, so I'm half way there. But I still want to have little treasures inside too, because Miranda's greatest delight is finding things (even ones she's hidden herself!) So I really need to decide on something that is more than just a little flap, and has space to store the treasures.





These are photos I've grabbed from all over the place of different advent calendars I really love. Ali Edwards did the ones on the wall, (LOVE everything she does) the little matchbox one is Martha Stewart. And the little drawers shapped like a tree is apparently something Starbucks sold last year, with truffles inside. Since I don't have a budget for this activity, I'm really leaning towards the long advent chain made with toilet paper tubes (the pink one, at right). I figure I could at LEAST figure this out. And printing off digital scrapbooking papers to decorate this will be a breeze. (My girl Melissa Bennett will have a whole series of Christmas kits coming soon - I'm sure!)





When I was little my mother sewed us a big wall-hanging with pockets and little velcro bears that moved in between different rooms of the house, doing different activities to get ready for Christmas. I would love to be the kind of mom who just whipped up wall-quilts on a whim (wow, that's a lot of W's) but I am not, and I'm pretty sure that since I can't get around to pulling out the sewing machine to fix garments, it's not going to happen for this either. :) So paper and glue it is!



I'm still looking around for the *right* nativity set. I, being a girl who thinks too much and knows exactly what she wants, am finding nothing that meets my criteria. I don't want rubber ducks dressed as the three wise men, I don't want fuzzy bears bowing before the Christ-cub and I don't want chubby little children figures. That's just confusing. I also don't want something made of anything that will break easily, because really I want a set that my kids can play with a bit. But it also has to be pretty. Yup, I know I'm asking for a lot here!



Good thing I have a few months left to get everything together. :)

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Wow, I really like that toilet paper tube one and could completely see myself making that. All the others seem a bit overwhelming.

Thanks for the ideas!

Lena said...

I'm with Tracy, the TP one is my favorite too! They are all amazing though, but I'm all for easy! :P

Jennifer said...

Those are all so pretty, but I also lean toward the TP one! What a fun project!

Chels said...

i think i wanna do the TP one too!

Mari said...

Oh, an advent calendar! I am so doing one of these for my son next year when he is old enough to care. Right now he is 2 and would just break it. lol Great idea and just you doing it make you 'that kind of mom' that you want to be.

As for nativity sets, I have two, one is the Willow Tree set, its gorgeous. http://www.demdaco.com/SearchResult.aspx?Manufacturer=112&Vendor=176&ViewAll=True Got it as a wedding present and then they finished the sets for Christmas presents afterwords. The other is a family friend painted ceramic figures. Probably not child friendly though. HTH!

Monique said...

Those are all great ideas! THanks for sharing, as soon as I get my Halloween projects done I'm definitely going to be working on some Christmas ones!

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I think the toilet paper one is the only one I could manage. We get a Lego advent calendar. I have a friend who crocheted her nativity scene. She made Mary, Joseph, the 3 wise men and Jesus one year and every year since then she adds people & animals to it. It's really neat.

Kresta said...

Love love love this post! I agree that the toilet paper roll one is much more up my alley as I'm not the sewing type.

I also really appreciate your criteria for your nativity - makes total sense. My Mom got one last year that the kids could touch and play with, ya know, to understand it all better. I'm not sure what she got, but I remember thinking that was such a good idea. I'm so used to very fancy ones that you wouldn't want little fingers anywhere near. :)